Home - School Partnership
Our Home School Partnership Policy encapsulates our belief that parents are a child’s first and most important educators. It is designed to help reach the highest possible standards of achievement through close communication and effective partnership with parents.
At Cronk y Berry School we strive to provide a safe, secure, pleasant environment, a happy and purposeful community where all children, staff, visitors and parents are respected and valued.
- Our aim is to meet the needs of the children in partnership with parents so they may be positive, articulate and responsible individuals, prepared to play their part in society.
- We try to base all of our actions and decisions on our core values, which are shared with the whole school community. Our core values are encompassed in the mission statement:
“Together, we challenge, care and create”
As a school, we will try our best to:
- Care for pupils’ safety and happiness and treat them with respect.
- Encourage pupils to do their best in all aspects of school life.
- Provide parents and carers with regular information including newsletters and meetings to discuss progress.
- Provide opportunities for parents to meet with staff in order to address any issues in a timely and appropriate manner to avoid problems escalating.
- Provide a balanced, relevant curriculum that meets the needs of pupils.
- Offer targeted work and extra support for those children with specific educational needs and abilities.
- Allow children safe and secure use of the Internet through a combination of site filtering, supervision and by fostering a responsible attitude in all pupils, in partnership with parents.
- Base our decisions and actions on our core values.
- Offer opportunities for home learning (e.g. reading), in line with CYB’s Home Learning policy.
- Have high expectations of parents and pupils, insisting that all discussions are respectful, not tolerating aggressive or threatening behaviour from anyone in the community.
As a pupil, I, will try my best to:
- Focus hard and aim high in all areas of my learning, taking advice from my teachers and support staff, as well as my parents.
- Make the most of my time in school, and get involved in clubs and activities as much as possible.
- Take responsibility for myself and my actions.
- Stick to our agreed class and school rules: -
- Treat everyone and everything in our school with respect.
- Keep our hands and our feet to ourselves.
- Listen to instructions and make the right choice.
As a parent, I will try my best to:
- Make sure my child attends school, starting the day at 8.55am.
- Collect my child on time at the end of their school day.
- Notify the school on the first day of absence if my child is unable to attend and provide an explanation why.
- Aim for my child’s attendance to not drop below 95% wherever possible.
- Support my child in their home learning (e.g. reading with them on a daily basis).
- Support my child’s learning by working with outside agencies.
- Support the school’s guidance and policy on behaviour.
- Set a good example to my own and other children when on school premises.
- Promote the school in the community in a positive light, avoiding the use of inappropriate postings on social media which defame individual staff or the school as a whole.
- Approach the teachers and other staff, parents and pupils in a respectful and non threatening manner.
- Attend parents’ evenings and discussions about my child’s progress.
- Not fall behind with payments for services provided by the school.
- Provide my child with the CYB school uniform, PE Kit and a book bag.
- Support school in the teaching of safe and secure Internet use at home.
You can download a copy of our Home - School Partnership here.
There are many opportunities for parents to attend school events during the year including Christmas plays, concerts, class assemblies, sports days and other events.
Parent helpers in school
A distinctive feature about our school is the tremendous support we receive from parent volunteers to assist with many activities. These include weekly swimming sessions, help in the classroom, supporting children in their reading and phonics work, art and craft activities, accompanying children on visits out of school and so on.
The Berry Buddies
We are most fortunate in having an active and vibrant friends of Cronk y Berry association called the ‘Berry Buddies’. The aims of this group are:
- to advance the education of the pupils by providing and assisting in the provision of facilities that the Department of Education and Children does not normally provide
- to foster more extended relationships between the staff, parents and others associated with the school
- to engage in activities which support the school and advance the education of the pupils attending it.
During the year, we are grateful for the work of the Berry Buddies in helping to organise events such as Mother’s Day/Father’s Day shops, car boot sales, the Christmas Fayre and a summer event, such as a Ceilidh or Line Dancing.
Normally there are several events a year in aid of School Fund varying from optional dress day to our main sponsored event. We often decide to purchase items for school use or pay towards travel, theatre companies and so forth, to benefit our pupils.
We are very pleased with the generosity of our parents with fund raising at Cronk y Berry School. This ensures that our children are not disadvantaged in any way. Thank you very much.